17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Ukrainian state's attempts to be done with canonical Church are doomed - Moscow Patriarchate 24 December 2018, 10:23
- Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Poroshenko signs law renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 December 2018, 10:22
- Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic 21 December 2018, 17:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no reason for name change 21 December 2018, 14:05
- Center of Ukrainian Orthodox Church is in Kiev, not in Moscow - Russian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 13:50
- Head of new Ukrainian church meets with U.S. ambassador in Kiev 21 December 2018, 13:16
- Constantinople Patriarchate is accomplice to persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill (updated) 21 December 2018, 12:32
- U.S. secretary of state's phone call to 'chief schismatic of Ukrainian church' is unprecedented - Peskov 21 December 2018, 12:00
- Rada decision to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church nonsense, act of forgery - Russian MP 21 December 2018, 10:59
- Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler 21 December 2018, 10:58
- Authorities put in jeopardy existence of large Orthodox confession in Ukraine - head of opposition faction in Rada 21 December 2018, 10:50
- Parliamentary opposition in Rada to continue fighting against renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 10:41
- UOC requests Poroshenko to reject bill on church renaming passed by Verkhovnaya Rada 21 December 2018, 10:39
- Renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church will make believers in Ukraine look for enemies in churches, monasteries - Legoyda 20 December 2018, 18:44
- Main supporter of autocephaly in Ukrainian Orthodox Church says too soon to celebrate creation of new church 20 December 2018, 18:26
- U.S. support for schism in Ukraine is 'beyond all reason' – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges heads of other Orthodox Churches not to recognize Ukraine's new church (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:11
- Ukrainian state directly interfering in church affairs – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says will protect its name (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:04
- Ukraine church schism ahead of election meant to split Russians, Ukrainians – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:01
- Rada obliges Ukrainian Orthodox Church to indicate affiliation with Russian Orthodox Church in its name (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:00
- Patriarch Bartholomew wants to subdue Ukrainian church, profit from it – Putin 20 December 2018, 14:48
- About 50 Vinnitsa priests who joined new local Ukrainian church rejoin Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church 20 December 2018, 10:58
- Ukrainian politicians are pushing their people to ruin - Patriarch Kirill 19 December 2018, 18:11