09 July 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, representatives of Constantinople Church discuss preserving inter-Orthodox unity
Moscow, July 9, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has discussed the issue of keeping inter-Orthodox unity with representatives of the Constantinople Patriarchate.
According to the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill met with Metropolitans Emmanuel of Galle and Bartholomew of Smyrna at his working residence in Moscow's Chisty Lane on Monday.
"The conversation addressed issues relating to keeping inter-Orthodox unity," the report said.
The Russian Orthodox Church was also represented in the meeting by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk and Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations.
"In the meeting, the parties frankly and openly stated their positons on a number of issues that present mutual interest, including the situation in Ukraine," Father Nikolay told Interfax-Religion.
"Both parties find this meeting useful," he said. The priest said the positons of the Russian Church stated there will be communicated to Patriarch Bartholomew and the Holy Synod of the Constantinople Church in the near future.
The issue of inter-Orthodox unity drew broad debate in the past few months in connection with the so-called Ukrainian issue.
According to earlier reports, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko in April asked Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew to grant a tomos of autocephaly to the Church in Ukraine and announced an intention to create "a unified local church." The Verkhovnaya Rada supported the presidential address.
Afterward, high representatives of the Moscow and Constantinople Patriarchates held a series of consultations with local Orthodox Churches on the matter. Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk repeatedly said he had been told about the need to observe the canonical approach in a serious issue such as the granting of autocephaly.
Metropolitan Hilarion also warned about the inevitable deepening of division in Ukraine and on a schism in the Orthodox Church, which he believes could be compared to the Great Schism of 1054.
A delegation of archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, for its part, visited Istanbul in late June. After the visit, they said the rumors about preparations being made for granting autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church by the Constantinople Patriarchate had not been confirmed.
"Instead, the archbishops of the Constantinople Patriarchate said that their Church was ready to join the process of overcoming the Ukrainian church schism in consultations with their brotherly local Orthodox Churches," the hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said in their statement.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch Kirill, Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople 25 May 2010, 14:47
- Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew celebrate festival services in the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Laura 24 May 2010, 12:16
- Protests of Constantinople flock prevent Metropolitan Hilarion from celebrating liturgy in Paris church 09 March 2010, 11:13
- Orthodox Ukrainians promise mass actions of protest if the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes dissenters 05 October 2009, 12:44
- Constantinople Patriarchate risks throwing in their lot, Ukrainian theologian believes 04 September 2009, 14:12
- Sretensky choir disturbed Istanbul hotel at night during Patriarch Kirill’s visit to Turkey 08 July 2009, 15:06
- Patriarch Kirill held a "minute of silence" in St. Sophia, Istanbul 07 July 2009, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill has consecrated the first Russian church in Turkey 06 July 2009, 18:24
- Turkish PM pledges support in organizing churches for Russian Orthodox Christians 06 July 2009, 17:46
- Patriarch Bartholomew seeks to solve problems with Moscow Patriarchate 06 July 2009, 16:03
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with compatriots, secular and religious leaders in Turkey 02 July 2009, 14:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to improve relations with the Constantinople Patriarch during his visit to Turkey 01 July 2009, 18:10
- Russian Orthodox Church is concerned with the ambitions of the Constantinople Patriarchate in France 08 June 2009, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Turkey in July 03 June 2009, 15:47
- Archbishop Hilarion contemplates the establishment of new local Orthodox Churches 01 June 2009, 13:27
- Yuschenko, Bartholomew I discuss opening of Ecumenical Patriarch's office in Ukraine 20 May 2009, 17:16
- Moscow Patriarchate disagrees with Constantinople's special position in the Orthodox world 10 April 2009, 18:34
- Constantinople shouldn't encroach on canonical territory of other local Churches - Moscow Patriarchate 13 November 2008, 16:12
- The Russian Church reminds it hasn't recognized the Constantinople church structure in Estonia 09 October 2008, 13:55
- Alexy II to visit Istanbul 07 October 2008, 10:41
- Russian scientists criticizes Bartholomew I for misinterpretation of historical facts related to the Ukrainian church question 01 August 2008, 16:15
- Moscow Patriarchate believes Yushchenko out of reckoning for Bartholomew I's visit 30 July 2008, 15:25
- Constantinople's jurisdiction over Ukrainian Orthodoxy would deepen religious split in Ukraine - cleric 29 July 2008, 10:14
- Alexy II, Bartholomew I confirm readiness to solve problem through dialog 27 July 2008, 22:15
- Yushchenko asks Patriarch Bartholomew to bless establishment of unified Ukrainian Orthodox Church 26 July 2008, 15:40