07 April 2019
Topic of the day
Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful
Kiev, April 7, Interfax - The Kiev District Administrative Court has ruled to find unlawful Verkhovnaya Rada Chairman Andrey Parubiy's actions regarding the adoption of legislation obliging the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to change its name, parliamentarian Vadim Novinsky said on Facebook.
"A momentous event has happened in Ukraine's modern history: a court has taken the side of the community for the first time by finding the authorities' attempts to fight the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful," Novinsky said.
The court so granted a motion by Alexander Dolzhenkov of the Opposition Bloc faction. The court ruling concerns legislation passed by the Verkhovnaya Rada at the end of 2018 to amend the law On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The initiators of this legislation "attempted forcibly to rename" the Ukrainian Orthodox Church the Russian Church in Ukraine, without taking into account constitutional norms, the congregation's opinion, or the opinion of the church itself, Novinsky said.
"Apart from the fact that the government has no constitutional right to interfere in religious matters, the bill was revoted, contrary to the rules of procedure, as they wished to achieve a result planned beforehand," Novinsky said.
"Now the forcible renaming of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to please [President Pyotr] Poroshenko and his entourage has been taken off from the agenda. I'd like to believe the decision is final," he said.
The legislation on renaming the Ukrainian Orthodox Church passed at the end of December 2018 took effect on January 26, 2019. The law stipulates that all parishes and monasteries of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church had three months to indicate in their charters that they belong to a religious organization with the center in the state "that has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Bartholomew I asks Russian Church clerics to pray for reopening Orthodox seminary on Halki island 26 May 2010, 16:42
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch Kirill, Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople 25 May 2010, 14:47
- Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew celebrate festival services in the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Laura 24 May 2010, 12:16
- Protests of Constantinople flock prevent Metropolitan Hilarion from celebrating liturgy in Paris church 09 March 2010, 11:13
- Orthodox Ukrainians promise mass actions of protest if the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes dissenters 05 October 2009, 12:44
- Constantinople Patriarchate risks throwing in their lot, Ukrainian theologian believes 04 September 2009, 14:12
- Sretensky choir disturbed Istanbul hotel at night during Patriarch Kirill’s visit to Turkey 08 July 2009, 15:06
- Patriarch Kirill held a "minute of silence" in St. Sophia, Istanbul 07 July 2009, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill has consecrated the first Russian church in Turkey 06 July 2009, 18:24
- Turkish PM pledges support in organizing churches for Russian Orthodox Christians 06 July 2009, 17:46
- Patriarch Bartholomew seeks to solve problems with Moscow Patriarchate 06 July 2009, 16:03
- Patriarch Kirill to meet with compatriots, secular and religious leaders in Turkey 02 July 2009, 14:27
- Patriarch Kirill hopes to improve relations with the Constantinople Patriarch during his visit to Turkey 01 July 2009, 18:10
- Russian Orthodox Church is concerned with the ambitions of the Constantinople Patriarchate in France 08 June 2009, 11:31
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Turkey in July 03 June 2009, 15:47
- Archbishop Hilarion contemplates the establishment of new local Orthodox Churches 01 June 2009, 13:27
- Yuschenko, Bartholomew I discuss opening of Ecumenical Patriarch's office in Ukraine 20 May 2009, 17:16
- Moscow Patriarchate disagrees with Constantinople's special position in the Orthodox world 10 April 2009, 18:34
- Constantinople shouldn't encroach on canonical territory of other local Churches - Moscow Patriarchate 13 November 2008, 16:12
- The Russian Church reminds it hasn't recognized the Constantinople church structure in Estonia 09 October 2008, 13:55
- Alexy II to visit Istanbul 07 October 2008, 10:41
- Russian scientists criticizes Bartholomew I for misinterpretation of historical facts related to the Ukrainian church question 01 August 2008, 16:15
- Moscow Patriarchate believes Yushchenko out of reckoning for Bartholomew I's visit 30 July 2008, 15:25
- Constantinople's jurisdiction over Ukrainian Orthodoxy would deepen religious split in Ukraine - cleric 29 July 2008, 10:14
- Alexy II, Bartholomew I confirm readiness to solve problem through dialog 27 July 2008, 22:15