17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- All members of Ecumenical Patriarchate's Synod sign tomos for Ukraine – media 09 January 2019, 14:23
- Patriarch Kirill has faith in brighter future of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 07 January 2019, 15:04
- Polish Orthodox Church refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church 06 January 2019, 21:02
- Ukraine's chief rabbi speaks against law on renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 January 2019, 20:59
- Creation of independent church in Ukraine geopolitical disaster for Russia - Poroshenko 06 January 2019, 20:55
- Poroshenko promises to respect religious choice of citizens of Ukraine 06 January 2019, 20:52
- Patriarch Bartholomew gives Yepifaniy tomos on autocephaly of new Ukrainian church 06 January 2019, 18:28
- New church of Ukraine may not appoint bishops or establish parishes outside of Ukraine 05 January 2019, 21:57
- Poroshenko invites Patriarch Bartholomew to visit Ukraine 05 January 2019, 17:36
- Tomos is piece of paper without canonical force - Russian Orthodox Church 05 January 2019, 17:29
- Patriarch Bartholomew signs tomos of autocephaly for a new Ukrainian church 05 January 2019, 17:26
- Ukrainian custom authorities seize copies of Patriarch Kirill's Christmas greeting - Moscow Patriarchate 04 January 2019, 21:28
- Constantinople Patriarchate is involved in fight between authorities, Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Metropolitan Onufry 29 December 2018, 19:55
- Russian exarchate disbanded by Constantinople should decide on its fate itself, Russian Orthodox Church to help it if it seeks assistance 29 December 2018, 19:51
- Structures of Russian Orthodox Church to open in all localities that have Constantinople parishes 29 December 2018, 17:53
- Russian Orthodox Church laymen allowed to have communion in St. Panteleimon Monastery on Athos 29 December 2018, 17:49
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod forms patriarch's exarchates in Europe, Asia in response to Constantinople's actions 29 December 2018, 17:43
- Moscow Synod calls unification assembly in Kiev non-canonical, expresses concerns about plans to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church 29 December 2018, 17:39
- Georgian patriarch hopes for restoration of brotherly ties between Russian Orthodox Church, Constantinople Patriarchate 28 December 2018, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill doubts Patriarch Bartholonew's "sound mind" 27 December 2018, 19:17
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Patriarch Bartholomew of fulfilling U.S. order in Ukraine 27 December 2018, 14:58
- Law on renaming UOC takes effect 27 December 2018, 14:34
- Change of Ukrainian Orthodox Church's name fraught with 'bloody conflicts' - Patriarch Kirill 26 December 2018, 13:44
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church compares new Ukrainian church to Tower of Babel, which collapsed 25 December 2018, 15:00
- UOC to appeal law on renaming it in Constitutional Court 25 December 2018, 12:43