17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes Ecumenical Patriarchate won't make hasty decision on Ukraine autocephaly 11 October 2018, 14:06
- Kremlin opposed to steps that could lead to schism in Orthodox world 11 October 2018, 13:07
- Russian Church Abroad accuses Constantinople of violating holy canons 10 October 2018, 18:30
- Media review: If the project for Ukrainian autocephaly is carried through, it will mean a tragic and possibly irretrievable schism of the whole Orthodoxy 10 October 2018, 15:07
- Politicians' attempts to separate Ukrainian church from Russia's to end in "total flop" - Patriarch Kirill (updated) 10 October 2018, 13:39
- Ukraine's endorsement of seizure of Orthodox Сhurches would cause protests in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 10 October 2018, 12:41
- No local Church supports Constantinople's steps toward granting Ukrainian Church autocephaly - Russian Church official 10 October 2018, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church confirms readiness for dialogue with Constantinople (updated) 09 October 2018, 18:21
- Patriarch Kirill thanks head of Orthodox Church of Alexandria for solidarity with canonical UOC 09 October 2018, 16:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges to stop the spread of schism in Ukraine 09 October 2018, 11:16
- Georgian Patriarchate denies reports of recognition of Ukrainian autocephaly 08 October 2018, 14:56
- Even the most reckless politicians won't be able to destroy the centuries-old spiritual ties of Ukraine with Russia - Russian foreign ministry 08 October 2018, 13:16
- Ukrainian govt entitled to determine future of Kiev, Pochayev lavras – ministry 08 October 2018, 11:49
- Archbishop of Cyprus objects to politics' interference in affairs of Orthodox Church in Ukraine – Stepashin 08 October 2018, 11:43
- Patriarch Bartholomew invited to Ukraine 05 October 2018, 17:55
- Belarusian Orthodox Church calls on Constantinople patriarch to suspend process of granting autocephaly to Ukrainian church 05 October 2018, 17:29
- Media review: Isolation need not to be feared - Metropolitan Hilarion 03 October 2018, 14:59
- Estonian Orthodox Church condemns actions of Constantinople Patriarchate in Ukraine 03 October 2018, 12:55
- Blood-stained union with Vatican stripped Constantinople of right to interfere in Ukraine's religious affairs - UOC 03 October 2018, 11:07
- Metropolitan Onufry: no tomos will help sinful person 03 October 2018, 10:51
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges Patriarch Bartholomew not to mix church with electoral bloc 03 October 2018, 10:39
- Patriarch Kirill calls for pan-Orthodox debate of "Ukrainian issue" 03 October 2018, 10:22
- Communication with schismatics could lead to excommunication, Ukrainian Orthodox Church warns Constantinople 01 October 2018, 12:14
- Unified local church head to be elected at unifying assembly after Constantinople grants autocephaly - head of self-proclaimed "Kiev Patriarchate" 01 October 2018, 12:04
- Constantinople's attempts to justify its entitlement to Ukraine have no legal basis - Russian Orthodox Church 01 October 2018, 11:52