17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for continued Orthodox unity 13 October 2018, 18:07
- Constantinople Patriarchate still does not see Filaret Denisenko as patriarch - Phanar hierarch 13 October 2018, 18:05
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 18:02
- Putin, Russian Security Council permanent members discuss situation of Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine - Peskov 13 October 2018, 17:59
- Constantinople Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine makes impossible Russian Orthodox Church's unity with it - Metropolitan Hilarion 13 October 2018, 11:02
- Lavrov calls Patriarch Bartholomew's actions on Ukraine as provocation backed by U.S. (updated) 12 October 2018, 19:35
- Russian Orthodox Church proposes convene extraordinary pan-Orthodox council to depose Patriarch Bartholomew, his Synod members 12 October 2018, 19:24
- Metropolitan of Czech Lands and Slovakia expresses solidarity with canonical Church of Ukraine 12 October 2018, 17:36
- Kremlin vows to defend Orthodox Christians' interests in Ukraine using political, diplomatic methods 12 October 2018, 14:29
- Kremlin shares Russian Church's concern over Ecumenical Patriarchate's decisions – Peskov 12 October 2018, 14:28
- "Kiev Patriarchate" initiating emergency unification assembly 12 October 2018, 14:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church not to participate in unification assembly initiated by "Kiev Patriarchate" updated) 12 October 2018, 12:44
- Ukraine's Interior Ministry promises to rebuff possible provocations over granting of autocephaly to Ukrainian church 12 October 2018, 12:41
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls Ecumenical Patriarchate's decision on Ukraine church 'illegal' 12 October 2018, 12:40
- Russian Orthodox Church's response to Constantinople to be tough, decisive - representative 11 October 2018, 23:19
- Patriarchate of Constantinople announces establishment of direct rule over Kiev parishes - Synod decision 11 October 2018, 23:17
- Poroshenko vows to respect rights of believers who remain loyal to Moscow Patriarchate 11 October 2018, 23:16
- Removal of anathema from Filaret forces Russian Orthodox Church to cut Eucharistic communion with Constantinople - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 11 October 2018, 23:12
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Constantinople of destroying foundations of Orthodox Church 11 October 2018, 23:10
- Constantinople Patriarchate's Synod revokes legal effect of 1686 tomos entitling Moscow patriarch to ordain Metropolitan of Kiev 11 October 2018, 22:48
- Archbishops' council to convene soon to elect Ukrainian Church leader who will receive tomos from Constantinople - Filaret 11 October 2018, 22:45
- Ukrainian FM Klimkin: Moscow Patriarchate has no business in Ukraine 11 October 2018, 22:39
- Moscow Patriarchate declines to comment on leaks about Ukrainian rehabilitation 11 October 2018, 17:38
- Ecumenical Patriarchate grants canonical status to Kiev Patriarchate, whose leader anathematized by Russian Church - Greek website 11 October 2018, 16:45
- Ukrainian Сhurch leader meets with Poroshenko 11 October 2018, 16:25